Set Design




  • Design a set for your own version of Antigone. Your version should be relevant for an audience today.

My version of Antigone uses the same storyline as the original Greek play. I wanted to stay true to its roots and not adapt or change the play too much.

I have set my version of Antigone in Creon's palace. I wanted it to look very royal and posh. Therefore, I used a cream and brown colour scheme with hints of white and ivory in the drapes. I also used splashes of brighter colours for certain parts of the stage. For example, I chose Creon's eyes to be red and bloodshot to show all of his fury and anger at Antigone. In the background, there are many dark trees with green leaves that show the darker side of Thebes where Antigone left to bury her brother, Polyneices. I was aiming to create a set where there were many dark colours and light colours that were almost 'fighting' against each other. This shows the morals in the play of 'Good Vs. Evil'.

I incorporated multimedia into the staging by using lighting and projections onto the backdrop. Sound and music would also be used during the performance. The projections of the backdrop can change to suit the mood and environment. However, there would mainly be a projection of Creon's eyes on the backdrop and if you look closely, you can see that the whole stage faintly resembles a face. I thought that it would be clever to show that Creon is always watching over Antigone and the rest of Thebes, by incorporating the outline of his face into the stage.

It would be adapted onto a Proscenium stage to give a feel of what life would have felt like for the Greeks who were watching the original version of Antigone. I wanted to closely resemble the theatron/auditorium of a Greek Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment